Take Me Out to the Ballgame

Any seat in the house is a good seat - even if there is a pole in your face. It's great because you are there experiencing the organ music, the roar of the crowd, the crack of the bat and the umpire as he yells "steeeeerike!" against the visiting team!
Mom liked to take us to the ballgames from a very early age. These photos are from when I was just 5 years old. My sistah would have been 3. I don't have pictures to prove that sistah and I were actually there on this day, but somehow I think we were.
I love looking across the field over to Waveland Avenue and seeing the ballpark as it was so long ago. This is twenty years before lights were installed. People in this crowd would have told you were crazy and booted you out of the ballpark if you were to suggest that Wrigley Field would EVER have night games with big ugly lights. But times change and now there are big ugly lights but the same great baseball.
When I think of Wrigley Field this is the ballpark I remember. No lights and no bleachers on the houses across the street. I remember people standing on the rooftops or sitting in folding chairs but nothing like the fancy bleachers that are there today. This is also the era of players I remember best: Fergie Jenkins, Randy Hundley, Ron Santo, Billy Williams and of course Ernie Banks.
I remember being at a game with Mom and Sistah one afternoon and Sistah went down to see if she could get some autographs. She was a little squirt at the time, maybe five or six. Suddenly she came running up the stairs, out of breath, with her curly blond hair disheveled under her Cubs hat. Her face was flushed with excitement. "Mom! Mom! I got his autograph!"
Sistah still has Randy's autograph. It sits on her living room shelf with her other Cubs memorabilia. My oldest daughter is staying at her house right now and has promised to scan the program and autograph for me so that I can include it in this post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gelli Plate Tutorial with Leaves

Giveaway Day!

Autumn is for the Birds