A Few Quilts

I didn't take half the pictures of the quilts that I should have!
I would often get absorbed in looking at the design and quilting and completely forget about the camera.  I really wanted to pull out the camera for the special shows in which photography was not allowed.  Such fabulous quilts in the Rituals and Seasonal Palette exhibits.  The link for the Ritual's exhibit has photos from afar and the Seasonal Palette link is to the book you can purchase with all the quilts in it.  I should have bought it while I was there.
I was excited when I was able to photograph a quilt with it's creator.  This is Hot Africa
by JANNEKE DE VRIES-BODZINGA of KOLLUMERZWAAG, FRIESLAND, THE NETHERLANDS.  The people are all hand appliqué.
Urban Tree by Kathy York.  
My photo colors are a bit off and blurred.  Sorry
 Silk by HOLLIS CHATELAIN 
of HILLSBOROUGH, NORTH CAROLINA
 Amsterdam Alley: The Shortcut Between 
by LESLIE TUCKER JENISON of SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS
 And a couple close ups of this awesome piece:
Leslie was wonderful to meet.  
She is so beautiful inside and out!
She would probably laugh at that statement and wonder how I knew what her insides were like. ;)

A close up of CARYL BRYER FALLERT's quilt.
Adventure Awaits 
by SUE McCARTY of ROY, UTAH
There are thousands of crystals on this quilt.  
Can you imagine how long that took to apply them all?

 Dixie Dingo Dreaming by Susan Carlson.
I love the whimsy and color of Susan's work.
 Dreamtime 
by ANTONIA HERING of HOORN, NOORD-HOLLAND, THE NETHERLANDS
 All of those little circles are hand appliquéd on and the entire piece is hand quilted as well.
This quilt gave me a good laugh.
All in my Head by Beth Porter Johnson. 

Four Seasons by Leslie Rego of Sun Valley, Idaho.
This enormous kitty reminded me of my Bubba.
Kitty Corner by Janet Fogg 
Another quilt that gave me a good giggle.
Mutton but Letters by Janet Stone
 My Gentle Giant—"Ben" by PATT BLAIR 
of MT. BALDY, CALIFORNIA

 I was able to visit with Patt a few times during the festival and she was a delightful person!
Her quilt is a whole cloth quilt, painted on with tsukiniko inks and then thread sketching and quilting.
Beautiful texture and under his eyes are long hanging threads to give the extra texture of his fur.

 Prairie Fire by RUTH POWERS of CARBONDALE, KANSAS.
I sat with Ruth and Gloria Hansen during the QA/SAQA reception Friday night.
I had a great time getting to know both of these talented, wonderful women.
Schooling Through the Jellies by Susan Fletcher King of Houston, Texas. 

Tutti Fruitti Village by SUSAN BLEIWEISS 
of UPTON, MASSACHUSETTS
I met Sue during Festival and have "talked" with her through email. She is a wonderful person and has such beautiful art work.  I just love how how colorful all of her work is!  And she does so much!  I've been following the Sketchbook Challenge since she created it and just love this great project.
And finally
The Best of Show Award
America, Let It Shine 
by SHERRY REYNOLDS of LARAMIE, WYOMING
I just love when the back of a quilt is just as beautiful as the front!
And that is just the tip of the iceberg from Quilt Festival 2012!

Comments

ann said…
Thanks for this lovey group of photos. Since I could not be there, I really appreciate this glimsp.
It was great to see you in Houston, Lisa! I loved visiting your blog and "walking" through the quilts once again.
Thanks for sharing!
Leslie
Jeannie said…
What an amazing and diverse group of quilts. I love each and everyone that you shared. Can you imagine being a judge for that show?!! Thanks for sharing your trip.
Jennilyn said…
Fun to see your favorites! This is my dream trip. Someday!

Popular posts from this blog

Gelli Plate Tutorial with Leaves

Autumn is for the Birds

Give Away Day