Gifting Rice Bags & A Tutorial

It's time to make gifts and sometimes I need a gift that is something quick, easy and practical.  Rice bags are one of my go to fun gifts.  I use my own rice bag all the time for those aches and pains that creep up.  I've made rice bags in all shapes and sizes but this year I am opting for the divided long version.

I know there are many variations but here is how I make mine:
1.  First I cut a piece of flannel into a rectangle - approximately 12" x 22".

2.  Turn one of the 12" ends under a half inch and press.

3.  Fold the rectangle in half long ways with right sides together.  

4.  Starting at the folded edge, stitch a 1/4" seam along the two raw edges.  I like to sew this seam twice, the second seam just inside the first for extra stability.

5.  Turn the tube inside out and push the corners out.  Fold the tube in half and press a crease.  Fold each end to the center and press a crease.  The seams for each section have been created.

6.  Put one cup of rice into the tube and stitch along the first crease line.
I like to shake all the rice to the bottom of the tube and put a couple pins above the rice in the hopes that the rice will stay put while I stitch.  It usually works too!

Repeat step #6 until the bag is filled and all creases and the folded edge are stitched closed.
Done!

I love the divided bags because they keep the heat (or cold if they've been frozen) in just the right place on my body.  No migrating rice or the need to keep the bag moving.
I've seen a number of cutesy poems online to include with a rice bag but none of them speak to me.  I'm still searching for just the right tag to include with these lovelies.
Any ideas?

I'm linking up to Off The Wall Friday's with this post.  Have a look-see and see what everyone else has one their wall this week!








Comments

Sylvia said…
Well written tutorial! One question, how long do you zap the bag in the microwave?
Lisa Chin said…
Good questions Sylvia! You microwave the bag one to two minutes depending on the strength of your microwave. You can also freeze the bag for a great cold pack for owies.
Jeannie said…
I hadn't thought about freezing them! Great idea and tutorial. I am with you on the divided areas. They are also great as foot warmers on cold nights. :) Wishing you the happiest of Thanksgivings, Lisa!

Popular posts from this blog

Gelli Plate Tutorial with Leaves

Autumn is for the Birds

Give Away Day