My first Pocket

I wrote about my friend, Melanie Testa, and her plea for Breast Pockets to bring attention to breast cancer and the women who have chosen to "go flat" after a mastectomy, earlier this week.  You can read about it here. It's been a crazy week for me but I was grateful to be able to make my first pocket.
The background color was painted with setacolor paint.  Next I used a stencil from Crafters Workshop to paint on the bird house and tree leaves.  I then thread painted the black lines over the top.  The little birdy button was created with Shrinky Dinks!
Yes, Shrinky Dinks!  Those pieces of plastic you colored on as a child and baked in the oven, those Shrinky Dinks.  You can buy them in 8 1/2 x 11 sheets and create whatever you like!
I know how much Melly loves birds and I thought this would be a great representation of her leaving her cage and flying free into her own choices in life.  Maybe the next one should be her leading a flock of birds!

Comments

Susan said…
Love your pocket. My pockets are not that perfect. Cannot wait to see more.
Anonymous said…
What a beautiful pocket! Anyone would be proud to add that to a special shirt. I love this project. Great idea!
Melly Testa said…
Thank you so much, Lisa! I have pinned your pockets to a Pinterest board with attribution.
Kit Lang said…
Here from Nina-Marie's. Very sweet pocket! :)
Norma Schlager said…
This is terrific and fits the theme so well. Makes me think that I should make one, too.
Anonymous said…
Lisa,
Melly is one of the bravest women I know. As I read your daughters breast pocket the tears welled up.
And I can see Melly just hugging you.

Teri

Popular posts from this blog

Gelli Plate Tutorial with Leaves

Autumn is for the Birds

Give Away Day