Library's Last Day


We have spent a lot of time through the years in this room.
It's the children's room at our local library.
We are just barely outgrowing this room
and when the new library opens we will have totally outgrown it.
I'm sure it will be a number of years until I have grandchildren to take to the new children's room.
I hope - no need to rush things after all.

This is the area of the library we have graduated to. 
When the new library opens this row of teen books will have become an entire room.
That is something to look forward to.
This isn't much of an area for teens to hang out and enjoy reading.

I loaned out my camera recently but was fortunate enough to have my cell phone camera with me to document the end of our old library.
I tried to be discreet taking pictures.
I didn't want to appear as if I were being too sentimental,
even though I was feeling very sentimental.

But how can I not feel this way about the end of an era.

I'm sure the new library will be just lovely and filled with many wonderful books, magazines, computers and dvds but I love the cosy-ness of our old library.  I have loved the safe feeling of being able to send my little ones to the children's area while I looked through the stacks.
But I suppose it is time for a change.

The fire station to the left of the library is being rebuilt on another street.  The new fire station should be open very soon.  It is ginormous and on a main road, leaving more space for the new library/rec center.

And even though I know the new place will be wonderful I will always miss this cosy building.

Comments

Alan said…
I had no idea they were closing the library!

Man, move out of state and nobody tells you anything.

Thanks for taking pictures. I spent so many hours at that library.
Jane Babcock said…
So glad you documented our library. I too will miss it. Warm. Familiar. Full of memories.
Anneliese said…
You know, for as close as I lived to it, I've only been there a handful of times. (I seem to be a city library person - even when I was younger.)

Anyway, it is sad to see it go, but in the end I think the new one will be so much nicer.
BobandLu said…
Alright Lisa, after reading your comments on blogs of my family members, I feel like you're part of my family. :) Hopefully I'll be able to see you around Steven's wedding time. I just looked at your blog for the first time today, and you're inspiring! I love to see what you've made! You're quite the creative girl. I also love that what is important to me is also important to you! Sad to see that library go. Thanks for taking me back there with your pictures.

Popular posts from this blog

Gelli Plate Tutorial with Leaves

Giveaway Day!

Autumn is for the Birds