Deep Blue Sea and More

I finally finished up my entry for The 12x12 Project's Blue theme:


When I think of blue I think of the ocean and I take a deep wistful sigh.  While I was in Hawaii a few years back I went snorkeling.  I loved looking all the amazing fish and coral.  However my heart still skips a beat when I think about almost swimming head first into a turtle.  She was so beautiful and after we got over the shock of almost running into each other she seemed as curious about me as I was about her.  It was a miraculous moment for me. 

I created the turtle using a photograph that I printed onto tissue paper.  After the tissue paper was sprayed with three layers of finishing spray, I crumpled it several times and then fused it to fabric.  This along with the coral was then machine appliqued to the background.  The crumpled tissue paper adds a very nice texture to the turtle.

Last week I finished up my entry for the Quilting Arts Magazine 2011 Calendar Contest.  The theme this year was "Flavor of the Month." 


As I pondered the theme of “Flavor of the Month” I thought of all the summer foods that I love: watermelon, cucumbers, cantaloupe, peaches, pears, tomatoes. Mmm. . .fresh-off-the-vine-tomatoes and crunchy lettuce on a big, fat, juicy hot-off-the-grill-cheeseburger! It makes my mouth water.  (I am not responsible for any damage done to your computer as a result of your drooling)

I hand appliquéd the buns, meat, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes onto a batik fabric. Highlights were added to the buns and tomato with Paintstiks. Sesame seeds were created using perle cotton and then I quilted swirls of steam coming up off the burger as well as a few words of enjoyment onto the background.  I won't find out for a month or so if it is a finalist so keep your fingers crossed!

Comments

Sue said…
These are amazing!
Jane Babcock said…
I absolutely love the turtle. Cheeseburgers I'm trying not to think about.

Popular posts from this blog

Gelli Plate Tutorial with Leaves

Giveaway Day!

Autumn is for the Birds