Tree Tribute

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

-- Joyce Kilmer
My neighbor's two trees were cut down today.
They were beautiful and provided a place to play and served as a home for many birds.
We are all sad to see them go but after many years of contemplation my neighbor decided it was their time.
The person who took down the trees said that the roots of the two trees were supporting one another and if one was taken down than the other needed to go too.
I missed the willow being taken down but was able to document the taking down of the pine.
Here is the beginning of taking down the branches.
The branches were then put into the chipper.
It smelled like Christmas.
I thought it looked like a palm tree at this point.
I had to leave home for awhile . . .
and when I came back it was down and on the ground.
One of the workers counted the rings and said the tree was 40 years old.
I asked to keep this piece as well as one other piece.
I'm not sure where they will go or what I will do with them yet but I just felt the need to hold on to a part of the tree. (You can see the two pieces I kept on the left below.)
Now that the trees are gone you can see my neighbor's house and there is more sunshine on my newly planted fruit trees and vegetable garden.  I will need to pay more attention to watering the garden!

Comments

Jane Babcock said…
Sad to see three grow. I am amazed to see how ruthless people are with cutting back shrubs and trees. Nature is so forgiving to grow again as long as there are roots.
Nicole said…
Wow it looks so different without that tree! That was a beautiful tree wasn't it? That is neat you kept some of the trunk. That's too bad about loosing some of the shade though, hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Popular posts from this blog

Gelli Plate Tutorial with Leaves

Giveaway Day!

Autumn is for the Birds