Secret's Revealed


While visiting the National Gallery of Art I learned about an interesting little machine called the Camera Obscura:
 "Light from an external scene passes through the hole and strikes a surface inside where it is reproduced, upside down, but with color and perspective preserved. The image can be projected onto paper, and can then be traced to produce a highly accurate representation."

what is a camera obscura

Many variations of the camera obscura have been used for centuries.
These artists were getting their basic outline by TRACING. 
And it wasn't cheating.
I love this revelation as I have traced photos (cameras are just a modern Camera Obsecura with a way of keeping the image) to get basic shapes and perspectives on drawings and I thought I was cheating.  Turns out I was just following in the footsteps of  Canaletto and Leonardo Da Vinci!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gelli Plate Tutorial with Leaves

Autumn is for the Birds

Giveaway Day!