Suminagashi Marbling

 I recently took a class at Saltgrass Printmakers in Suminagashi Japanese Marbling on paper. So much fun! Unfortunately our instructor, Anna Bugbee, tore her ACL while skiing and was unable to teach. Stefanie Dykes from Saltgrass took the reigns and taught the class in her absence. She did a great job.

Suminagashi Marbling by Anna

I've done some marbling on fabric using shaving cream and water as the base, with Procion dyes. The results were good but always too much white space for me. I've also had a kit from Jacquard sitting on my shelf for Erbu marbling, which requires the base be made from Gall and some other stuff. It has intimidated me for some reason, even though it's a kit. Suminagashi marbling is created using ink on just water, and can fill the entire paper if desired. It seemed like a great place to start, and also so much better to be in a class with a teacher to help me overcome my nervousness about the project.



Stefanie demonstrating how to pull the print off the water.

One of my large prints. The color is so much better in person.

I will be marbling again soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gelli Plate Tutorial with Leaves

Giveaway Day!

Autumn is for the Birds