Tree

 Since I finished "Murder in the Garden" way before the deadline, I thought I would work on a second piece to enter at Quilt National. The piece of hand dyed fabric was talking to me and we decided it needed a lone tree. I made a template, and then painted the tree on using Posca paint markers. 
Trying out various threads for the quilting. The quilting is meant to emulate clouds and mountains far off in the distant. 


The mountains are semi visible in this photo.

After applying a facing, the quilt was ready to be photographed at Atelier AFA.

I finished the hand quilting, and the photography but I didn't know what I should name the quilt. Without a name I didn't have an artist statement, and I wasn't able to name the photos to enter. I thought, and thought about it but nothing was speaking to me. Eventually the quilt did not get entered. 

The day after the deadline I discovered Bob Dylan's poem, "And death shall have not dominion."
I felt like this phrase described this tree so well. The tree might look dead, but it is just gathering strength for spring when life will spring forth again. There is hope.

I'm not sure what the copyright issues are with poetry and art. Can I name my quilt after the poem and then use the poem in my artist statement without permission? I will need to investigate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gelli Plate Tutorial with Leaves

Quilt National

Autumn is for the Birds