Perplexing Year

 I feel as if I have been in a fog this past year. I know many of you have felt it too. I've spent way too much time on social media, watching all the ups and downs of disease and injustice. Issues of injustice have been especially depressing. People of color have been dealing with these appalling issues for 400 years. I have been slowing learning throughout my life, but this year I decided to up my education. 

Thanks to a friend I met in Houston, I joined a group of women in reading, watching, listening, and then discussing social issues in a private group. A wonderful group of women. I feel like I learned a lot, and made some new friends too. I've expanded my own reading as a result of the group. Here are a few I would recommend:

So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo

White Fragility by Robin Diangelo

Stamped From the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America by Ibram X Kendi

There is also a Kids edition of Stamped, and a Young Adult edition

How to be an AntiRacist by Ibram X Kendi

I am not your Negro by James Baldwin (Also a movie directed by Raoul Peck)

Four Hundred Souls: A Community History of African America, 1619-2019 by Ibram X Kendi (Editor), Keisha N. Blain (Editor)

Gender: Your Guide by Lee Airton

I really enjoyed the 1619 Project podcasts. I feel like everyone should have a listen and learn.

Things to watch: Dear White People on Netflix; Get Out, movie directed by Jordan Peele; 13th movie directed by Ava DuVernay on Netflix and YouTube.

There are many, many more options out there as well to continue educating yourself. 

I've also expanded my fictional reading, making a conscience effort to read work by persons of color. If you like science fiction and haven't read Octavia E. Butler then hold on to your hats. All of her books are so insightful, and imaginative. I couldn't stop reading them. Of course Parable of the Sower seemed especially applicable this past year. 


I managed to get some projects done over the past year, and I will post them here. I have a new goal of posting on my blog once a week. Hope you all will help keep me accountable!

Comments

Lynda said…
Lisa, Good to see you back. What a wonderful group you are in. I've read a couple of those you listed and also have read a few fiction. Now I have more to read or listen to. A couple books I liked were Writing My Wrongs by Shaka Senghor, Silver Sparrow and An American Marriage both by Tayari Jones, and Dear America: Notes of an Undocumented Citizen by Jose Vargas. However, I've had a hard time in the last year reading. Luckily, that hasn't extended to my art. Anyway, thanks for all these great resources, and looking forward to your postings.

Popular posts from this blog

Gelli Plate Tutorial with Leaves

Giveaway Day!

Autumn is for the Birds