I Cleaned a Cupboard

I've had big plans in my head to do some major cleaning in the studio at the end of this month. My husband was going to a conference for a week and I figured I could pull everything out of the studio while he was gone and then only put back the stuff I wanted to hang on to. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately for me, his conference went virtual. He encouraged me to go ahead, but I wanted to put everything in the bedroom and I knew it would need to be there at least overnight making it difficult to sleep. I decided I could clean out one small cupboard in my bedroom. This cupboard has been making me crazy for a number of years. A lot of stuff has just been shoved in there to get it out of the way.  

Before I pulled it all out.

There were a couple of surprises in there. The biggest surprise was this box filled with funeral cards. On the top of all the memories of my dead relatives was this business card: Cindy Kwiek: School of Dance. 


I took everything Cindy offered! I was terrible at all of them. I tried real hard (sometimes) but I didn't have any natural talent. I did have a great time despite being so-so. I did manage to eventually do a flip flop on my own in acrobatic class, but only once. I remember kicking the girl in front of me in tap class. Oops. I didn't do it on purpose but she sure thought I did as I managed to do it several times. I'm sure she was just standing too close to me.

I enjoyed the dance classes, and I attempted to compete and be in shows because that what we did at Cindy Kwiek. I have a newspaper clipping somewhere because I came in first place on the bars in a small gymnastic competition. I was the oldest student doing the simplest routine, so what can I say?  I also remember receiving a 3 point something out of 10 on the beam at a big meet because I was so wobbly. I was lucky I didn't get a zero. I think they were being generous. Always had a hard time with balance. They gave all of us fake pearl necklaces at the end of that meet. I thought it was so cool!


I loved Cindy as well as all her classes. It kept me busy and active, which is why I think my Mom sent me there in the first place. I was a chubby kid and the doctor encouraged Mom to get me out of the house. I've always had a tendency of staying home.
I remember Cindy meeting her husband, getting married, and having her first child. I learned how to crochet in Girl Scouts and I made a small baby afghan for her. It was black. I was so proud of it when I gave it to her. She looked at it, then at me, and said, "You made this?" I'm embarrassed to think about how awful it was, but she was very gracious in accepting it from me. Not sure where it ended up. I often wonder.


Anyway, after my trip down memory lane (lots of photos in there that need to be organized still), I have a neat cupboard now. Yay me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gelli Plate Tutorial with Leaves

Autumn is for the Birds

Giveaway Day!