Sketchbook Part 6

I know I shared this face already but I thought it needed to be in this post about the faces in my sketchbook. She was the first face I attempted to draw in this sketchbook.

This was an attempt to work on shadows and highlights.

I like how the background developed.



This face started with a tutorial for a manga drawing, and they quickly told me they wanted to be more.

More fabulous. Once drawn I realized they reminded me of author and performing artist, Alok.
It wasn't intentional, but perhaps a subliminal influence.


I keep drawing from my head, but think I need to do more from life or photos to get things down so I can be good enough to draw "off the top of my head."


The shadowing was off on her. He head looked off.

I looked at some photos of people in shadow to attempt to get her right.

After I drew her I realized she reminded me of actor Jane Seymour.


Another attempt at drawing off the top of my head.
The eyes always seem so dead. I have realized there needs to be some shadowing in the eye ball to get a more lifelike look.
This page spread started with a big messy circle of paint, surrounded by more paint.
I realized they could be the base for some faces. I decided to draw the second face based upon a photo of my grandson.

The drawing was better with a reference.

I feel like his eyes have more life to them, but overall it still needs more work.

I've bought a few portrait drawing and painting classes on Domestika and hope to improve my skills.
I don't want to draw/paint hyper-realistic faces, but at the same time I feel the need to be able to do faces more realistic in order to go abstract. But then again - maybe I don't???

Comments

colorific said…
Your faces look great. They are always so expressive. I enjoyed seeing your process and progress here.

Popular posts from this blog

Gelli Plate Tutorial with Leaves

Autumn is for the Birds

Giveaway Day!